The winner will be selected from this year’s submissions of original, unpublished short stories between 3,000 and 7,000 words with LGBT content on the broad theme of “Saints and Sinners.” This contest would not be possible without a generous grant from The John Burton Harter Foundation.
The 2019-2020 SAS Fiction Judge is Don Weise
Don Weise has twenty-five years publishing experience, the majority of which has been devoted to LGBT literature. Among the many authors he has worked with are Gore Vidal, Edmund White, Samuel R. Delany, James Purdy, Leslie Feinberg, Christopher Bram, and Ann Bannon. He was named by Publishers Weekly as one of twelve annual industry "Change Makers" and listed among Out Magazine's "100 Most Intriguing Gay Men and Lesbians" of the year. Weise is currently the founder/publisher of Querelle Press.
One grand prize of $500 and two second place prizes of $100 will be awarded. In addition, the top stories will be published in an anthology from Bold Strokes Books. There will also be a book release party and reading held during the 17th annual Saints and Sinners Literary Conference in New Orleans in 2020. A list of the top ten finalists will be posted on our website and in our e-newsletter. Have a question about our writing contest? Please send questions to: email@example.com.
- The annual fiction contest is open to authors at all stages of their careers and to stories in all genres.
- Only previously unpublished stories will be accepted.
- Stories that won this contest in previous years are ineligible; their authors remain eligible, but must submit new work.
- Stories submitted to this contest in previous years that did not place in the top ten are eligible.
- Stories that have won any other writing contests are ineligible.
- Stories that do not adhere to the guidelines below will be disqualified. Please review our guidelines carefully.
- Submissions should be in standard manuscript format (double-spaced, one inch margins, 12 point Times or Times New Roman or similar font).
- Do not double space between paragraphs. Use indent.
- Please include a word count on first page under the title.
- Your name and contact information must NOT appear on the manuscript.
- No bios or resumes. We only consider manuscript quality.
- Word Count: 3,000 to 7,000.
- Submit only original, unpublished short stories.
- Please spell check and review your submission for typos. Excessive typos may disqualify your submission.
- Theme (interpret as you wish): Saints and Sinners
Entry fee: $20 per story. There is no limit on the number of stories each author may enter.
Deadline: October 1, 2019 (postmark). Submissions for the 17th Annual Contest are now open.