Submissions must be original work, and not published in any way.
Please view the individual contest guidelines carefully to avoid disqualification.
The winner will be selected from this year’s submissions of original, unpublished short stories between 3,000 and 7,000 words with LGBT content on the broad theme of “Saints and Sinners.” This contest would not be possible without a generous grant from The John Burton Harter Foundation.
This year's judge is Jeff Man. Jeff Mann has published five books of poetry, Bones Washed with Wine, On the Tongue, Ash: Poems from Norse Mythology, A Romantic Mann, and Rebels; two collections of personal essays, Edge: Travels of an Appalachian Leather Bear and Binding the God: Ursine Essays from the Mountain South; a book of poetry and memoir, Loving Mountains, Loving Men; five novels, Fog, Purgatory, Cub, Salvation, and Country; and three volumes of short fiction, Consent: Bondage Tales, Desire and Devour: Stories of Blood and Sweat, and A History of Barbed Wire. The winner of two Lambda Literary Awards and three NLA-International awards, he teaches creative writing at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia.
One grand prize of $500 and two second place prizes of $100 will be awarded. In addition, the top stories will be published in an anthology from Bold Strokes Books. There will also be a book release party and reading held during the 16th annual Saints and Sinners Literary Conference in New Orleans in 2019. A list of the top ten finalists will be posted on our website and in our e-newsletter. Have a question about our writing contest? Please send questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The annual fiction contest is open to authors at all stages of their careers and to stories in all genres.
- Only previously unpublished stories will be accepted.
- Stories that won this contest in previous years are ineligible; their authors remain eligible, but must submit new work.
- Stories submitted to this contest in previous years that did not place in the top ten are eligible.
- Stories that have won any other writing contests are ineligible.
- Stories that do not adhere to the guidelines below will be disqualified. Please review our guidelines carefully.
- Submissions should be in standard manuscript format (double-spaced, one inch margins, 12 point Times or Times New Roman or similar font).
- Do not double space between paragraphs. Use indent.
- Please include a word count on first page under the title.
- Your name and contact information should NOT appear on the manuscript.
- No bios or resumes. We only consider manuscript quality.
- Word Count: 3,000 to 7,000.
- Submit only original, unpublished short stories.
- Please spell check and review your submission for typos. Excessive typos may disqualify your submission.
- Theme (interpret as you wish): Saints and Sinners
Entry fee: $20 per story. There is no limit on the number of stories each author may enter.
Deadline: October 1, 2018 (postmark). Submissions for the 10th Annual Contest are now open.